Friday, July 8, 2011

Craft Fail and a Tiny Win

Let's start with the fail - they're not horrible, but these stenciled totes definitely did not turn out like I expected. Here's where both bags started:

Grabbed my seam ripper and took out all the embroidery. Then I traced and cut my freezer paper stencils. When I started ironing the stencils to the bag, I wondered if there would be issues. The bags are made from a canvas-ish type of material and the freezer paper didn't seem to want to stick very well, especially in the areas with delicate cutting. Anyway, here are the two finished bags:

If you look closely, you can see where the paint bled under the stencil. No huge deal, but I'm not thrilled either. I'm also not thrilled with the paint itself. I usually use paint meant for screen printing fabric - I think it's by Speedball - but I didn't want to spend the extra $ to get the super nice metallic paint. Instead, I used Plaid's Simply Screen paints. The paint just didn't give me the solid metallic look I was hoping for. It could just be because of the canvas-ish fabric, or because the fabric is black. Oh well - the totes are just for organizing and carrying various craft projects. At least they weren't gifts for other people!

Here's the tiny bit of win - a fused bubble wrap bracelet:

The bracelet looks kinda sparse - I think it needs some charms or something. Maybe later I'll turn this bracelet into the shrink art playbill bracelet ...

The technique is from this tutorial on Craftster. After fusing the bubble wrap, I wasn't sure I'd be happy with the final look. It didn't seem to look as nice as the fused pieces in the tutorial's pictures. Once I punched out some circles, though, it was all good!

So, July has been going well. This weekend I plan to break out the sewing machine to tackle that tote bag, the wristlet, the agenda cover and maybe even a superhero monster ninni!

No comments:

Post a Comment